10 Things You Didn’t Know About the Royal Spanish Sailing Federation
Every four years the greatest sailors in the world compete for glory – and this year, Timberland is going along for the sail as the sponsor of the Royal Spanish Sailing Federation. Between races, we sat down with three members of the team so we could get to know them a little better:
1. The most incredible place Onan Barreiros has ever sailed is the Bahamas.
2. If he wasn’t sailing, Onan would be playing football.
3. His second favorite outdoor activity is road biking.
4. Federico Alonso isn’t superstitious, but he always sails the day before a championship starts.
5. If Federico had to give his boat a name, it would be Miura (that’s what he called his first wooden boat).
6. Even sailors get seasick. He’s been sick on a boat and knows it’s a pretty nasty feeling!
7. When Aaron Sarmiento isn’t on the water, he likes to bike, run and play tennis.
8. If Aaron wasn’t a sailor, he’d like to be a professor.
9. He started sailing when he was 11 years old!
And the #10 thing you might not know about the Spanish sailors is that they all consider good grip one of the most essential features in their footwear. It’s a good thing they’re wearing Timberland Formentor boat shoes with Gripstick rubber to keep them on deck and on course.
The Royal Spanish Sailing Federation knows the no. 1 rule to looking good on a boat (and winning the race) is staying on the boat. Follow in their slip-free footsteps and get your own pair of Formentors by shopping our boat shoe collection.