Posts Tagged ‘LEED Platinum’
Categories: Making Our Difference: TBL CSR, Who We Are, What We Do: TBL Culture & People
A few months ago, after spending some time at the Toronto International Film Festival, I had the privilege of visiting Timberland Canada’s Headquarters at the Evergreen Brick Works campus, a community environmental center that inspires and equips visitors to live, work and play more sustainably. Evergreen, a national charity, transformed the former Don Valley Brick Works from a collection of deteriorating buildings into an international showcase for urban sustainability and green design.
Josh, Timberland Canada marketer and tour guide extraordinaire, showed me around, pointing out features that make this campus the epitome of sustainable building and design. LEED® Platinum Certified, the center is expected to reduce energy consumption by more than 50 percent. While that alone is impressive, I was really blown away by the innovative eco-conscious features we found around every corner. A few of my favorites:
- The Evergreen Brick Works building was constructed on top of the foundation from the former Don Valley Brick works – they even left the old graffiti on the bricks!
- There’s a garden center filled with local produce on site, with proceeds going to fund Evergreen’s efforts.
- Solar Chimneys help remove hot air from the building and reduce the need for air conditioning.
- Large rainwater harvesting cisterns collect rainwater from the rooftops and reuse it in the campus’ toilets and garden.
- The parking lot’s concrete is pervious, which allows water to go back into the ground and maintain a natural cycle.
- The LED parking lot lights are specially designed to direct light downward, keeping the sky naturally dark for bats, insects and other animals.
You can learn more about Evergreen Brick Works, and even take your own tour, at http://ebw.evergreen.ca/ .