Posts Tagged ‘Timberland Canada’
Categories: Making Our Difference: TBL CSR, Who We Are, What We Do: TBL Culture & People
A few months ago, after spending some time at the Toronto International Film Festival, I had the privilege of visiting Timberland Canada’s Headquarters at the Evergreen Brick Works campus, a community environmental center that inspires and equips visitors to live, work and play more sustainably. Evergreen, a national charity, transformed the former Don Valley Brick Works from a collection of deteriorating buildings into an international showcase for urban sustainability and green design.
Josh, Timberland Canada marketer and tour guide extraordinaire, showed me around, pointing out features that make this campus the epitome of sustainable building and design. LEED® Platinum Certified, the center is expected to reduce energy consumption by more than 50 percent. While that alone is impressive, I was really blown away by the innovative eco-conscious features we found around every corner. A few of my favorites:
- The Evergreen Brick Works building was constructed on top of the foundation from the former Don Valley Brick works – they even left the old graffiti on the bricks!
- There’s a garden center filled with local produce on site, with proceeds going to fund Evergreen’s efforts.
- Solar Chimneys help remove hot air from the building and reduce the need for air conditioning.
- Large rainwater harvesting cisterns collect rainwater from the rooftops and reuse it in the campus’ toilets and garden.
- The parking lot’s concrete is pervious, which allows water to go back into the ground and maintain a natural cycle.
- The LED parking lot lights are specially designed to direct light downward, keeping the sky naturally dark for bats, insects and other animals.
You can learn more about Evergreen Brick Works, and even take your own tour, at http://ebw.evergreen.ca/ .
Categories: Hikers to Handsewns: Products & Design, Making Our Difference: TBL CSR, Who We Are, What We Do: TBL Culture & People
The following video documents a special event recently held at our new Canadian office located at the Evergreen Brick Works — a spectacular community environmental center that also serves as an international showcase for urban sustainability and green design.
The event celebrated our new home, and also kicked off the 10-day Toronto International Film Festival, of which Timberland was a sponsor. We invited media, stylists and influencers to preview our Fall products and get a sneak peek at what we’re going to debut in Spring 2012.
The evening also featured “Timberland in Film,” as we highlighted Timberland products that have appeared or will appear on the big screen.
To top it all off, we offered EcoCab tours of the Brick Works and invited attendees to have their picture taken on our very own Timberland red carpet. Who says star treatment is only for celebrities?
Thanks to everyone who attended our housewarming and helped us to celebrate our partnerships, past and present.